Laying Down on the Job

Laying Down on the Job
The Santa Monica Easy

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Santa Monica all a GLOW

I am extremely delinquent, nearly 5 months, in posting this but here goes GLOW anyway. 


Santa Monica hosted a half-day art event on Saturday, September 25, 2010 from 7pm to 3am or dawn, which ever showed up first.  This is the second bi-annual Santa Monica GLOW art event and is located along Pacific Avenue (pier adjacent), the Santa Monica Pier and along beach path areas to the north and south of the pier. I had missed the first GLOW but was determined to be part of the 2010 variation.  


Due to my inability to comprehend and explain "GLOW", beyond, "I'm not sure what it is but it'll be cool, `cause, trust me, everything in Santa Monica is cool except the impenetrable traffic" surprisingly, all of my friends had to either a) wash their cat/budgie/neighbor's gerbil, b) go visit their great grand-daddy's Civil War era untended grave site or c) paint the carport and would not be available to penetrate the traffic, battle for a parking spot or walk around at night to view something that sounds like a candy bar.  I invited friends to see "GLOW" with me, sweetening the invite with an offer of my free parking via my guest parking permit and got no takers. Nevertheless, I walked the nine-tenths of a mile to the installation solo -- observing and chortling at the horrific traffic jam of cars along Broadway, Lincoln, and every cross street all the way to the beach. 

SUV running the red light at the corner of 4th and Broadway.
Maybe it's just me but this event should be seen with a companion (preferably a friend, family member with whom you're on speaking terms or a crowd-friendly pet).  
Soft and fuzzy companion -- apparently I couldn't be bothered to photograph the leash-holding human. 
I happen to think Santa Monica always glows -- at night -- particularly between 4th St. and the Santa Monica Pier. 

View from the bluffs along Pacific Ave., overlooking the pier all dressed up by the GLOW event
here was a nearly full moon that night which served to heighten the FX glow. 


The "1" globe tries to compete with the moon.
Moon in the upper left.
Holiday Inn sign reads "TASTE"

Then is changes to "HEAT"




Sitting, dancing and/or drinking in the street.







Strangers with iPhones


I realized I was standing next to 6 or 7 other visitors also iPhone-photo-ing the same installation I was, at the intersection of Colorado and Pacific Ave. (entrance to the Santa Monica Pier).  I thought it'd be ironic and or funny if we all took iPhotos of each other with our iPhones and made the spontaneous request.  I thought I caught sight of a quizzical look on each of their faces as the entire iPhone group vaporized in my iPhone iPhoto view finder.  

I know.  My inner child often scares young adults when she comes out to play. 

More of the changing, glowing views projected on the Holiday Inn:
Green Giant says, "Think"
Multiple blue Marilyn Monroes
Full moon over the Santa Monica Pier
Yalla Truck offers healthy vegetarian food
 Unfortunately, YallaTruck.com doesn't work any more, but you can follow their daily schedule on Twitter and Facebook.
Tunnel under the Pier
The Georgian Hotel 
 Thought to be haunted, The elegant Georgian Hotel  alit in blue on Pacific Ave.

I just like this sign (hanging in the information kiosk)
Just enjoy - I have no idea what it is (other than art).
Pretty Blue glowy octopus-like light art.
Teenagers with Glow headgear.
The walk home along Broadway
Glow was just glowing.  I loved walking around the Santa Monica Pier, the beach, Pacific Palisades, and Broadway at night -- and I didn't have to worry about parking!


No comments:

Post a Comment