Laying Down on the Job

Laying Down on the Job
The Santa Monica Easy

Monday, March 2, 2009

Accounting 101

I'm enrolled in Accounting 101 (online) at Santa Monica College this semester.  I've been enrolled at SMC and Irvine Valley College (IVC) since before the first protozoa formed.  Or so it seems.  I'm taking this class as a prerequisite course for their Quickbooks 101 class which I need to take because I use and have used QB Online, in my work, almost every day for the past 4 years and don't really know what I'm doing.  Of course, taking this class doesn't guarantee that I'll "know" what I'm doing afterwards, but it's a start.  I've never had the same respect for accounting as, say, for algebra, calculus, trig -- all of which make my teeth itch and my deodorant fail.  Accounting, on the other hand, has always inspired a quick roll of my eyes, a half-yawn and an involuntary utterance that sounds something like: "ffffffsh".  Then I saw the 3" thick textbook with its accompanying cd... 





-- and my teeth started to itch.  I suppose one shouldn't judge the difficulty of a subject based on the thickness of the textbook, but accounting and all its accompanying terms are an arena I've assiduously avoided until relatively recently. I've had computer networking textbooks that cast as large a shadow as this accounting book but I had some prior familiarity with that topic so I wasn't as intimidated. What I know about accounting could fit inside a baby pea. I think I'm in for a humbling ass-whooping -- or brain-whooping depending on which part of my body actually absorbs new information.  

I hope the cd has some fun music I can listen to while struggling with concepts like transaction analysis and return on assets.  I'm getting queasy just typing those phrases. 

While I prepare myself with self-assuring reminders like, "I was the single parent of a teenager -- I can do this...", nevertheless, wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Um ... I wouldn't count on the music. But good luck!

    ReplyDelete